Monday, November 1, 2010

Holy SandStorm!

October 20, 2010

Passage from my journal:

Currently waiting out my first Malian sandstorm and lets just say, now I realize why they advise Malian Peace Corps Volunteers not to wear contacts! I was biking around village going to pick up my cell phone which was charging on a friend's motorcycle battery when I felt a slight breeze I thought "how wonderful, its going to cool down for a bit" then not a second later I found myself engulfed in a cloud of dust so thick I couldn't see the front of my bike any longer. I was ushered into the closest hut where I sit now on the floor with several children staring at me while we wait for the wind to die down.

Despite momentarily fearing for my life, the layer of sand that covers my body, the taste of sand in my mouth and my concern that the clothes that hang on the close line outside of my hut are no longer clean, it is pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment