Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Segoukow (People of Segou in Bambara)

September 7, 2010


Crocks!
The firsts days in Segou have been wonderful. The older PCVs have shown us a great time. We all got together as a region and had dinner the first night here. We ate at the Esplanade, which is an amazing Italian food restaurant that is located right on the Niger river which makes for amazing views. For some reason however, there are crocodiles caged up on their patio. Apparently the restaurant sells them-- I have not quite been able to bring myself to ask how much or what one would do with a crocodile once it was bought but I am sure in the next two years I'll have an answer to these questions.


Lindsey and I on the Niger River
Before this we took a boat ride at sunset down the Niger River, which runs through Segou. Its was spectacular. As we rode down the river in our gonadal like boat we saw women washing clothes, dishes and themselves in the river; young boys jumped in the river after long days of fishing; and children splashing each other. The river is by no means clean and although it was a beautiful ride these scenes were very real reminders of where we are and what we are doing.
View of our Boat on the Niger River


Segouknow

2 comments:

  1. You're definitely going to have to find out about the crocodiles!! I was taken aback when I saw them in the picture... then even more shocked to find out they keep them caged on the patio to sell them! Definitely some crazy adventures you're having!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to read your stories !! And indeed ... you need to find out about the crocodiles ... I'm curious !
    I don't doubt you're having a fantastic time there !! Keep on posting your adventures !!
    Greetz Kurt

    ReplyDelete